Aims and Activities
With growing complexity of agrarian relations and rural labour market, it was felt that more specialization would be needed to look into the agrarian situation and to analyze it more scientifically and systematically so that policy and programmes could be formulated to suit the needs of the rural labourers for their development.
Apart from this, the experience of over two and a half decades also underlines the need for an integrated approach for the various problems. This is the main rationale behind the creation of the Centre.
The research activities of the Centre focus on the following core areas:
- Globalisation and its impact on rural labour
- Macro trends and patterns of changing structure of rural labour markets
- Documentation, evaluation and dissemination of information on organisation strategies
- Social security and rural labour
- Study of different agrarian occupations
In addition to the above core areas, several specific themes have also been identified for research, seminars and workshops which are as follows:
- Changes in land holding and land use pattern
- Credit and other input facilities in agrarian development
- Changing agrarian systems and employment relations
- Effectiveness of various forms of mobilisation of rural labour
- Undertaking action research for organising labour for economic activities
- Assessing the potential of rural non-farm employment sector.
- Examining the trends in wages, employment and poverty in rural areas.
- Examining the social security mechanisms at work in the rural sector
- Impact of globalisation, liberalization and privatisation on various segments of rural labour in general and agricultural labour in particular, analyse the agrarian relations and changes in the wake of globalisation, review research studies focusing on liberalisation, privatisation and globalisation.
- Impact of new technology on employment and productivity of the various sections of rural labourers.
- Implication of land reforms on rural labour, productivity and distribution of wealth.
- Impact of structural changes on the quality of lives of various segments of rural labourers.
- Study of local initiatives by individuals/institutions other than government organisations, for development of rural labour in general and agricultural labour in particular.
- Implications of government policy on National Trade Unions.
- Evaluation of income generation development programmes and schemes in the light of their social and economic relevance.
- Impact of gender inequality in various rural occupations, execution and implementation of development projects, programmes and schemes.
- Initiate and conduct collaborative research on various aspects of rural/agricultural labour in association with various trade unions and NGOs working for rural labour.
The Centre has undertaken research projects on different aspects pertaining to agrarian relation and rural labour during the last 8 years. The list of the project completed and initiated is given below:
- Agrarian Reforms and its Impact on Agricultural Development in West Bengal
- Organising Rural Labour for Effective Participation in Development: An Action Research - Khurja, U.P.
- Organising Rural Labour for Effective Participation in Development: An Action ResearchChittorgarh, Rajasthan.
- Organising Rural Labour for Effective Participation in Development: An Action ResearchKancheepuram, Tamil Nadu.
- Organising Rural Labour for Effective Participation in Development: An Action Research - Niwari & Prithvipur, Madhya Pradesh.
- Assessment of the Impact of Anti-Tobacco Legislation on the livelihood of Beedi Rollers, Tendu Leaf Collectors and Tobacco Cultivators.
- Assessment of Employment Potential - A Case Study (West Bengal)
- Evaluation of Welfare Fund for Beedi Workers in Madhya Pradesh Region
- Evaluation of Operation of Welfare Fund for Limestone and Dolomite Workers of Madhya Pradesh
- Evaluation of Iron Ore Mine Workers of M.P. & Chhattisgarh.
- Study of Janshree Bima Yojana
- Agrarian Structure, Social Relations and Agricultural Development: A Case Study of Ganganar and Jodhpur Districts of Rajasthan.
- Informal Sector in Arunachal Pradesh
- Assessing Social Security Measures and Promoting Effective Participation of Beneficiaries: An Action Research Project, Murshidabad
- Assessing Social Security Measures and Promoting Effective Participation of Beneficiaries: An Action Research Project, Tikamgarh, M.P.
- Assessing Social Security Measures and Promoting Effective Participation of Beneficiaries: An Action Research Project, Khurja, U.P.
In addition to the above, the Centre has organised several seminars and workshops on topics as below:
- Social Security for the Unorganised Workers
- Prospects and Challenges of Rural Labour Camp Strategy
- Handloom Silk Weaving in Kancheepuram: Organisational Structure, Labour Relations and Employment
Research Advisory Group Members
The following are the members of Research Advisory Group:
- Shri Sunit Chopra
- Prof. Utsa Patnaik
- Prof. Bina Agrawal
- Prof. P.C. Joshi
- Shri Nagendra Nath Ojha