Dr. Otojit Kshetrimayum, Fellow(Faculty) is a development professional with 12 years of evidence based policy research, impact evaluation, project management and monitoring, policy and programme design, teaching, training and capacity development in sectors such as Labour and Employment, Social Protection and Livelihood Security, Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, Informal Economy, Gender and Work, Child Labour, Labour Administration, Corporate Social Responsibility, Research Methods and Self Help Groups (SHGs). He is a Ph. D. in sociology. He is currently working as Fellow (Faculty) in V.V. Giri National Labour Institute under the Ministry of Labour & Employment, Govt. of India. He had worked as Assistant Professor in the Department of Sociology, Sikkim Central University, Gangtok and was the founding Head of the Department. He had worked as Senior Fellow in Women’s Studies and Development Centre, University of Delhi and also worked in the projects conducted by National Council for Educational Research and Training (NCERT), New Delhi and All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS). He is the Coordinator of the Centre for North East India, V.V. Giri National Labour Institute and one of the Associate Editors of the journal, Labour and Development; Shram Vidhan and Shram Sangam.
He has extensive experience in designing, conducting and supervising major quantitative and analytical research studies, impact evaluation projects and capacity development training courses with organizations such as Office of the Chief Labour Commissioner (Central), Ministry of Labour & Employment, Government of India; Directorate General of Employment & Training, Ministry of Labour & Employment, Government of India; State Labour Departments of Meghalaya, Manipur, Tripura and Bihar; State Labour Institutes of Maharashtra, Gujarat and Kerala; Universities in Delhi, Gujarat, Manipur, Sikkim, Assam, Uttrakhand, Rajasthan and Goa.
He has represented India in the “Forum on Women’s Labour Force Participation and Productivity Enhancement” at the Asian Productivity Organisation, Tokyo; “Forum on Innovations in Public Investment and Employment Programmes” at the International Training Centre-International Labour Organisation, Turin and “Forum on Corporate Social Responsibility Practices in the Area of Employment and Industrial Relations in India” at Korea Labour Institute, Seoul.
He is a member of the Performance Assessment Board to review the performance of Young Professional working with Model Career Centres established under National Career Service Project of the Ministry of Labour & Employment, Govt. of India. He was a member of the Drafting Committees of 44th and 45th Indian Labour Conference, and 44th, 45th, 46th, and 47th Standing Labour Conference of the Ministry of Labour & Employment, Govt. of India. He was a member of the Review Committee of the Recommendations of the 2nd National Commission on Labour.
He was awarded the Best Speaker/First Prize in the Ex-tempore Competition in Hindi organised by the Town Official Language Implementation Committee Noida, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India at GAIL Training Institute, Noida on 31st January, 2019.
- Kshetrimayum, Otojit, H.R. Sekar & D. Nongkynrih. 2017. Dynamics of Employment of Children and Socio-Economic Reality: A Study of Children in Hazardous Occupations in East and West Jaintia Hills Districts of Meghalaya. Noida: VVGNLI. ISBN: 9789382902553.
- Kshetrimayum, Otojit. 2017. Industrial Relations in India: A Study of Central Industrial Relations Machinery. Noida: VVGNLI. ISBN: 978-93-82902-47-8.
- Kshetrimayum, Otojit. 2016. Skilling India: Evaluation of Multi Skills Development Centres. Noida: VVGNLI. ISBN: 978-93-82902-38-6
- Kshetrimayum, Otojit. 2016. Women and Entrepreneurship in North East India: Handloom as an Enterprise in Manipur. Noida: VVGNLI. ISBN 9789382902379
- Kshetrimayum, Otojit. 2014. Ritual, Politics and Power in North East India: Contextualising the Lai Haraoba of Manipur. New Delhi: Ruby Press & Co. ISBN: 9789382395508.
- Edited a Special Issue on Labour, Employment and Social Protection in North East India of Labour & Development, Volume 20, No. 2, December 2013. ISSN 0973-0419
- “Skill Development in India and Contributions of Korean Companies”, in International Labor Brief. Vol. 14. No. 5., p. 78-91, May 2016. ISSN 1599-8355.
- "Skilling India: Contribution of Korean Companies" in Narsimhan, Sushila & Kim Do Young (Eds.). 2016. Evolving Indo-Korea Relations: Perspectives on South Asia. New Delhi: Manak Publications.
- “Mapping Social Contributions of Foreign Companies: A Case Study of Corporate Social Responsibility Initiatives of Korean Companies in India” in Sushila Narsimhan and Kim Do Young (ed.). 2015. Deepening India-Korea Relations: Towards a Sustainable Future. New Delhi: Manak Publications. pp. 47-68. ISBN 978-93-7831-386-8.
- “Political Interpretation of Ritual: Case of Lai Haraoba of Manipur” in Lisham Henthoiba and Laishram Churchil (ed.). 2015. Cultural Practices and Identity Politics in Manipur. New Delhi: Concept Publishing Company. pp. 18-31. ISBN 978-93-5125-143-9.
- “CSR Provisions in Indian Companies Act, 2013: An Overview”, in International Labor Brief, Vol. 11, No. 11, p.90-95, November 2013. ISSN 1599-8355.
- “Cloth, Women and Social Change: Situating Handloom Weaving in Manipur” in Sakarama Somayaji and Vimal Khawas (ed.). 2012. Environment, Development and Social Change in Himalayan Region. New Delhi: Akansha Publishing House. p. 237-272. ISBN 978-81-8370-319-2.
- “Rethinking Cooperatives in Rural Development: A Case Study of Handloom Weavers’ Cooperatives in Manipur” in the journal Labour & Development, Volume 18, June 2011.p. 65-79. ISSN 0973-0419.
- “Women and Shamanism in Manipur and Korea: A Comparative Study” in Indian Anthropologist. Vol. 39. No. 1&2. Jan-Dec. 2009. p.17-34. ISSN 0970-0927.
- “Mapping Cultural Diffusion: A Case Study of ‘Korean Wave’ (Hallyu) in North East India” in Sushila Narsimhan and Kim Do Young (ed.). 2008. India and Korea: Bridging the Gaps. New Delhi: Manak Publications. p. 181-195. ISBN 81-7827198-2.
- “ICT Integration in School Education: A Sociological Proposition” in Journal of Indian Education. Vol. XXXIII. No.1. May 2007. p. 62-70. ISSN 0972-5628.
At VVGNLI, he coordinates training programmes on the themes related to Skill Development and Employment Generation; Social Protection and Livelihood Security; Fundamentals of Labour Law; and Labour Administration for government officials, trade union leaders and representatives from civil society organisations. He is coordinating two courses, namely Sociology of Labour & Globalisation, and Labour Market, Employment and Social Protection in North East India especially for young researchers/research scholars working on labour related issues. He has coordinated an International Training programme on Skill Development and Employment Generation for the Government Officials from Afghanistan. He also coordinates a collaborative workshop on Social Security for Unorganised Workers with Maharashtra Institute of Labour Studies, Mumbai. He is the Course Director of the International Training programme on Social Protection in a Globalised Economy under ITEC/SCAAP Programme of the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India.
The projects that he has undertaken at VVGNLI are:
- Labour Market and Social Protection in North East India (ongoing)
- Dynamics of Employment of Children and Socio-Economic Reality: A Study of Children in Hazardous Occupations in East and West Jaintia Hills Districts of Meghalaya
- Evaluation of Multi Skills Development Centres (MSDCs) at Bangalore and Gulbarga, Karnataka
- Corporate Social Responsibility Practices in the Area of Employment and Industrial Relations
- Assessment of Trainers’ Requirement for Skilling 500 Million Persons by 2022 with reference to National Skill Development Policy (Tourism Sector)
- Study to Evaluate Plan Schemes of the Office of Chief Labour Commissioner (Central)